HobbyKings.com - Only the Elite
FAQ Search Staff Members Groups Register Login to check PMs
Rules Login/Out Store
Twitter Facebook YouTube Blog
Bryce Harper quitting school at 16?

Post new topic   Reply to topic       HobbyKings.com Forum Index -> Baseball -> League Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
byronscott4ever
VERIFIED TRADER

Topics: 795
Feedback Score: 21

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Bryce Harper quitting school at 16? Reply with quote

I guess whichever community college he goes to will be swarmed with SI-wielding fans:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Why-I-mostly-support-Bryce-Harper-s-decision-to-?urn=mlb,170270

Always looking for Byron Scott jersey numbered cards (4/xxxx), 1/1 cards and plates (and you can always ask about any cards)
Byron Scott speaking about me on "The Byron Scott Show"
4/7/11 ..."This is a good friend of mine."
1/5/12 ..."Paul's a friend"
Email me at:
byronscott4ever@yahoo.com
ewilkens
VERIFIED TRADER

Topics: 271
Feedback Score: 98

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever, i really can't pretend to care anymore... good for him, bad for society, I don't care. I miss when sports was just about sports

International Shipping is difficult for me, so please inform me if you're overseas before negotiating for any of my cards

I trade by PV (personal value) it combines BV, SV and how much I really want the card involved.
Gb234
VERIFIED TRADER

Topics: 351
Feedback Score: 12

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great another prospect the Nationals will screw up on or draft and not pay
RJefferson24
VERIFIED TRADER

Topics: 150
Feedback Score: 25

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres no point in him playing high school baseball anymore, and obviously the kid is a freak of nature. From a baseball standpoint, it makes sense.
VERIFIED TRADER

Topics: 1291
Feedback Score: 115

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole idea behind education is to help you get a better career, so you can earn more money. The kid is naturally gifted and can set himself up for life and make more money in a few years then some can make in a lifetime... strike while the iron is hot... good for him to have such an opportunity.

3/3... 5 & 7/10
Longhorn Collector
VERIFIED TRADER

Topics: 275
Feedback Score: 24

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJefferson24 wrote:
Theres no point in him playing high school baseball anymore, and obviously the kid is a freak of nature. From a baseball standpoint, it makes sense.

Should LeBron have dropped out his sophomore year?
Gb234
VERIFIED TRADER

Topics: 351
Feedback Score: 12

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longhorn Collector wrote:
RJefferson24 wrote:

If the NBA would have allowed him to go this route, the yes.

But not allowed based on the CBA.
Longhorn Collector
VERIFIED TRADER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gb234 wrote:
RJefferson24 wrote:

If the NBA would have allowed him to go this route, the yes.

But not allowed based on the CBA.

There is something to say about maturity. LeBron matured just fine and handles himself well. But who's to say he would've been the same type if he left his sophomore year. I'd bet no.
RJefferson24
VERIFIED TRADER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJefferson24 wrote:

It depends, I don't know how well LeBron was playing during his sophomore year, but if he was playing like Bryce, then yea. Obviously Bryce is going to go Pro, he's already been a part of Team USA, the younger team, and he stroked. There's no point of him going to school anymore because A) He's not gonna even take it serious anyway, he's going pro. B) He's only hurting himself by playing against inferior competition.
VERIFIED TRADER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJefferson24 wrote:
RJefferson24 wrote:

It depends, I don't know how well LeBron was playing during his sophomore year, but if he was playing like Bryce, then yea. Obviously Bryce is going to go Pro, he's already been a part of Team USA, the younger team, and he stroked. There's no point of him going to school anymore because A) He's not gonna even take it serious anyway, he's going pro. B) He's only hurting himself by playing against inferior competition.

People place waaaayyyy too small of an emphasis on education nowadays. Oh well. To each their own.

Still think that at 16 he has a lot of room for errors. Being in high school keeps you in school from 8AM-4PM and doesn't leave much room for fooling around w/ practice soon after. LOTS of room for error now. And going on the whole "he won't take school seriously anymore" argument...who's to say he takes community college serious? Why even go to community college? Go to some independent league in South America. Laughing

Ah, hopefully it works out for the kid. All he has to do is make it until draft day. Hopefully his stock is still as high. After all he won't be playing against any "inferior" competition. Hopefully he can handle college ball.
bdowden23
VERIFIED TRADER

Topics: 359
Feedback Score: 13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJefferson24 wrote:
RJefferson24 wrote:

People place waaaayyyy too small of an emphasis on education nowadays. Oh well. To each their own.

Still think that at 16 he has a lot of room for errors. Being in high school keeps you in school from 8AM-4PM and doesn't leave much room for fooling around w/ practice soon after. LOTS of room for error now. And going on the whole "he won't take school seriously anymore" argument...who's to say he takes community college serious? Why even go to community college? Go to some independent league in South America. Laughing

Ah, hopefully it works out for the kid. All he has to do is make it until draft day. Hopefully his stock is still as high. After all he won't be playing against any "inferior" competition. Hopefully he can handle college ball.

The education argument is legitimate for the possibility of injury, not panning out in the big leagues, ect. ect. ect. As there are plenty of can't miss prospects that flame out. Plus, freak injuries can occur at any moment and ruin a career. Where is he then? Not saying that should be a deterrent, but it's no less valid. I do agree it's entirely up to him, and the article does make an excellent point about golf and tennis players being taken away from their families at 10 years of age. Personally, I say good for him. I hope he has good people around him to keep him from being a dumb donkey with his money.(Could you imagine what you would be doing with millions of dollars at 16?) But it's strange this double standard we have for certain things. It's ok for a 15 year old Brittney Spears to be touring and selling records, or an 8 year old Dakota Fanning to be putting out movie after movie, but this guy gets a legitimate shot at the big leagues and it's a problem.
RETIRED FROM THE HOBBY....FOR NOW.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Longhorn Collector
VERIFIED TRADER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does he not have a legitimate shot at the big leagues in high school? I'd say his stock is even higher in high school where he could look like more of a shining star.

I just think he should've gotten a high school degree. Whats the point of anyone going to high school if we can all just get GED's then?
bdowden23
VERIFIED TRADER

Topics: 359
Feedback Score: 13

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does he not have a legitimate shot at the big leagues in high school? I'd say his stock is even higher in high school where he could look like more of a shining star.

I just think he should've gotten a high school degree. Whats the point of anyone going to high school if we can all just get GED's then?

Don't get me wrong. If it were me, no way I would leave early. Too many things that could go wrong for me not have a back up plan.
RETIRED FROM THE HOBBY....FOR NOW.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Longhorn Collector
VERIFIED TRADER

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotchya.
RJefferson24
VERIFIED TRADER

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RJefferson24 wrote:
RJefferson24 wrote:

I agree with you on the education part. What I was saying was that you really think he's going to take school seriously? Look at the Derrick Rose scandal, obviously he didn't take school seriously. No one who is that gifted at young ages care about school, they care about their sport. There was an article about him that I read that changed my view on him and what not. Read this and then see if dropping out makes sense:

Baseball's LeBron

And, if anybody hasn't take a look at this kid's swing, just take a look at this:

Bryce Harper Home Run Derby
VERIFIED TRADER

Topics: 1291
Feedback Score: 115

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He will take the GED and then enroll in JC... if he fails at becoming a star, he has his whole to go back to school... strike while the iron is hot...

3/3... 5 & 7/10
Longhorn Collector
VERIFIED TRADER

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. I guess this is really a really subjective things, especially in this day and age when you can really just go to an online school and land a decent wage.

I definetly wouldn't let my kid go this route. I mean another two-years in high school aint gonna kill him. But I can see where he will not take school seriously. But I also have to reiterate that he won't take college seriously either. But we know how kids get passes these days from lenient professors. Ahhh!
bdrr
VERIFIED TRADER

Topics: 635
Feedback Score: 140

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kid sounds like the way they described Billy Beane. Look what happened to him.

I just hope this kid doesn't end up wishing he had a backup plan.
VERIFIED TRADER

Topics: 509
Feedback Score: 55

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

College is overrated anyways, I'm sure highschool will be next. Smile
Radikal
VERIFIED TRADER

Topics: 30
Feedback Score: 16

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People can always finish HS later... its not like they have a restraining order against you on education. I think he should beat the iron while it is hot.
VERIFIED TRADER

Topics: 511
Feedback Score: 17

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When will it stop? Drop out in 8th grade, how about 6th grade? How about bypass grade school like high school??????
Post new topic   Reply to topic       HobbyKings.com Forum Index -> Baseball -> League Talk All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: