HobbyKings.com - Only the Elite
FAQ Search Staff Members Groups Register Login to check PMs
Rules Login/Out Store
Twitter Facebook YouTube Blog
What Do You Collect?

Post new topic   Reply to topic       HobbyKings.com Forum Index -> Basketball -> Hobby Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Umi
VERIFIED TRADER

Topics: 203
Feedback Score: 49

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: What Do You Collect? Reply with quote

At the suggestion of another member, I decided to make a thread to try initiate some hobby conversation, and that is: What or whom do you collect?

As many of you know, I PC Joe Johnson. I have been collecting him since the 2001-02 season and try to pick up everything of his - all base, parallels, inserts, basically anything that you can put in a top loader - and I don't hoard - only buy one of each card.

Besides for JJ, I also have some side player collections. I have been trying to put together rookie year card collections of some of my favorites - (alphabetically) Ray Allen, Ron Artest, Vince Carter, Chris Webber, Yao Ming and in football, Charles Woodson. I finished the Allen and Webber ones - not as difficult as no 1/1's - but the progress on the others has been very slow, especially recently. When rare cards do pop up, it's very hard to outbid more serious collectors of said players. But anyways, it's part of the chase - a goal that will never be accomplished. My brother and I also collect Dwight Gooden cards - mostly autographs and only Mets uniform. We grew up huge Mets fans and Doc was our favorite player. I think the first pack I ever opened was 1985 Topps while chasing his rookie card - I was 8.

I am also currently working on a few sets - 2008-09 Upper Deck Lineage Die-Cut Autographs and 2013-14 Panini Intrigue Winning Ink. The Winning Inks seem to have dried up as of late and we're lucky to find a Lineage card that we need in a calendar year. I don't know who else is doing these sets, but we could really use some assistance. I also do the Panini Gold Standard rookie auto set every year as I think it's the longest-running Panini product that has on-card rookie autos and a broad checklist. I think National Treasures is the same, but that stuff is out of my budget.

Lastly, I also collect on-card autos of players that I like in each sport and also non-sport cards. I have a spreadsheet of names and I'm missing several of the usual suspects - Hideo Nomo, Ted Williams, Charles Barkley, Wilt Chamberlain, David Beckham, to name a few - but it's more leisurely, and just try and tick them off if I can. You can find all photos of my cards:

Here

I hope you guys can share what or whom you are collecting as well.
Depitydog
SUPER MODERATOR

Topics: 145
Feedback Score: 28

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Umi!

I'll share.

My main focus started out as Ronnie Brewer autographs, which grew into Ronnie Brewer High end which has now turned into simply trying to get every card of Ronnie Brewer made. I'm a few cards shy of a 2017 goal i set for myself of 70% of his cards.

I've got 48 of the Top 50 players autos and im knocking off a few at a time of the "next 25" project im doing of players i feel were left off the original list or have come along since.

I've tried to dip my hands in the water on Bobby Portis but unfortunately i dont think i have the same love for it as i did with Brewer... I'll blame maturity more than Panini.

I've collected a few sets over the years and am contemplating doing this years NT Colossal Jersey/Auto set

My main collection focus has turned to collecting signed Books and Music memorabilia... a few years ago i lost my father, grandmother and favorite musician and i think to keep my sanity i funneled all my pain into the loss of the musician since he was the one that wasnt close to me. I know thats probly not healthy but hey... we cope, right? but at that time i told myself if there was a concert in road trips length i wanted to see, i was going to make it a goal to go and interact with the artists...

since that time i've had my arm grabbed by Taylor Swift, I've had Childish Gambino tell me i have a sexy voice after doing the troy and ahbed handshake with me. I've had the lead singer of the Sleigh Bells climb on me piggyback while she came into the audience to sing. I got daps from Shaq and then awkwardly followed him into the bathroom at Stubbs BBQ while i was waiting to meet Chance the Rapper and several other fun memorable events that mean more to me than Cardboard unfortunately... or fortunately i guess?

If i knew there was interest in my books or music memorabilia, i'd share them here but in the past it's fallen on deaf ears/blind eyes...

hope a few more chime in Very Happy

There's a thin line between your wit and your whining...
kukocitb
MUST SEND FIRST ON ALL TRANSACTIONS

Topics: 34
Feedback Score: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is AWESOME already.

I have been collecting Kukoc since 93. I am not a hoarder either, but only because I have a limited budget. I want all Kukoc. One of everything. Cannot keep up with Panini and really don't want to. I pick up what I can when I can. I had around 75% of all Kukocs prior to Panini and now I am hovering around 50% thanks to some of the great members on here.

I am a big Iowa Hawkeye and Cincinnati Bengals fan. I collect Iowa Hawkeye team sets that are given away at a home game. Really trying to focus on Topps Chrome Bengals since that is my all time favorite product.

Robin Lopez is someone I have started to collect. He was a BEAST for the Bulls last year and really hope he stays in Chicago even though it does not look good.

I am a HUGE music fan. I rock out EVERY day. My all time is Hootie and the Blowfish. Some of my highlights: catching 2 Metallica guitar picks, Candlebox pick, Hootie and the Blowfish pick, and Train pick. I like a wide variety of music and feel like if helps me through whatever mood I am in.

Wantlist: http://www.hobbykings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=139923&highlight=
Randy
VERIFIED TRADER

Topics: 511
Feedback Score: 17

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got back into collecting in 03-04 (because of Lebron). I picked up a lot of 03-04 cards, but really latched onto Dajuan Wagner (because of scoring 100 points in a high school game). He was a lottery pick the year prior, so, I decided to go after his stuff. I spent as much as I could afford. Sometimes I lost out (like on a dual auto with Wagner and Jordan numbered /2), but I kept right on chuggin'.

I ended up with the opportunity to trade for a Super collection of Wagner from a buddy of mine in North Carolina, who had the same level of love that I did for Wagner. I believe he reached out to me early on and we spoke back and forth about not bidding each other up on certain cards. I had no problem with that and we formed a friendship that lasts to this day.

I combined our collection to form a Super-Duper collection of Dajuan Wagner. I am still picking up cards for Wagner, if the price is right and the card is nice. My most recent pickup is thanks to Kukocitb, another member here who I have also gotten to know over the years. We help each other out as often as we can.

The Wagner collection doesn't get as many "additions" to it as it once had because Wagner has faded and people probably have thrown him in their closet, but I still get a jolt every time I can pick up something that is nice of his.

Since the Wagner additions have stalled, I have moved to collecting cards numbered /100 or less. Any sport, any player. There are always cards numbered /100 so the collecting additions will never end. I have found something now that gives me a jolt and won't ever end (win-win). That keeps my collecting bug fresh and alive.

If anyone has any hard to find Wagners or cards numbered /100 or less (any sport, any player), just PM me. I pay a quarter a piece shipped for those cards..........#collectoruntilIdie
kukocitb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I got back into collecting in 03-04 (because of Lebron). I picked up a lot of 03-04 cards, but really latched onto Dajuan Wagner (because of scoring 100 points in a high school game). He was a lottery pick the year prior, so, I decided to go after his stuff. I spent as much as I could afford. Sometimes I lost out (like on a dual auto with Wagner and Jordan numbered /2), but I kept right on chuggin'.

I ended up with the opportunity to trade for a Super collection of Wagner from a buddy of mine in North Carolina, who had the same level of love that I did for Wagner. I believe he reached out to me early on and we spoke back and forth about not bidding each other up on certain cards. I had no problem with that and we formed a friendship that lasts to this day.

I combined our collection to form a Super-Duper collection of Dajuan Wagner. I am still picking up cards for Wagner, if the price is right and the card is nice. My most recent pickup is thanks to Kukocitb, another member here who I have also gotten to know over the years. We help each other out as often as we can.

The Wagner collection doesn't get as many "additions" to it as it once had because Wagner has faded and people probably have thrown him in their closet, but I still get a jolt every time I can pick up something that is nice of his.

Since the Wagner additions have stalled, I have moved to collecting cards numbered /100 or less. Any sport, any player. There are always cards numbered /100 so the collecting additions will never end. I have found something now that gives me a jolt and won't ever end (win-win). That keeps my collecting bug fresh and alive.

If anyone has any hard to find Wagners or cards numbered /100 or less (any sport, any player), just PM me. I pay a quarter a piece shipped for those cards..........#collectoruntilIdie

Well said Randy! You have helped out MANY people. I am pretty sure we were separated at birth even though you are a couple years older. Thanks for helping keep the hobby fun for a BUNCH of people. Hoping I can make it to the national so we can dig together #collectoruntilIdie

mdmille2

Topics: 5
Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an aspiring Ron Harper super collector. I started collecting his cards in the 90s but stopped around 2002. I was a poor student from 2003-2011, but then finally got a job and started to have disposable income in 2012, and started back up again. I remember discovering sportlots and COMC when I returned to collecting and being amazed at how easily I could find cards which in the 90s I had searched for for years and years with no luck When I collected in the 90s, all my cards came from local card store, packs, card shows and trading.... wow did the internet change things. I first focused on filling out my needs from his playing days.... then eventually moved on to his Panini era cards as well. As I've checked a lot of these off my list, I just recently started adding jersey numbered cards and working on a BGS player registry. With my player registry goal, I've started adding duplicates, aka hoarding, some of the rarer items so that I can submit the best card for grading. I've also been adding some duplicates of the large patch cards, especially Flawless. My favorite parallels of all time are the Ultra Platinum... and I always try to pick those up when I find them!

Currently I own:
600 different cards
96% of his non 1/1 cards
94% of his pre-retirement cards
87% of ALL his cards

85% of his autographed cards
- 90% of his non-1/1 Auto cads
- 55% of his Auto 1/1 cards

85% of his Jersey cards
- 100% of plain jersey cards
- 75% of prime/patch jersey cards

33% of 1/1 cards
25% of plates

Jersey numbered cards: 19
BGS graded registry:
- Cards: 62
- Competion: 10.5%
- GPA: 9.16/10.1

Wantlist:
**Not listed below are printing plates, because I'm not sure how many there are.**

LA Clippers
91-92 Fleer 3D Acrylic Redemption #90
92-93 Fleer Slam Dunk Panel (with Larry Johnson and Dominique Wilkins)

Chicago Bulls
97-98 Fleer Ultra Masterpiece #9 1/1
98-99 Hoops Starting Five #98 /5
98-99 Metal Universe Gem Master #36 1/1
98-99 Skybox Thunder Rave #29 /150
98-99 Skybox Thunder Super Rave #29 /25
98-99 UD Choice Reserve Premium #20 /100
98-99 Upper Deck Gold #20 1/1
99-00 Fleer Supreme Court Collection #135 /20
99-00 Topps MVP Promotion #2
99-00 Upper Deck MVP Super Script #21 /25

Los Angeles Lakers
99-00 Upper Deck Gold #238 1/1
00-01 Topps Gold Label Jerseys Leather Home TT6HL
00-01 Ultimate Victory Ultimate Victory #27 /25
00-01 Upper Deck MVP Super Script #79 /25

2007-2008
07-08 UD Chronology Autographs Gold #82 /10
07-08 UD Chronology The Five (Daugherty, Nance, LeBron, Price) NDJPH /10

2009-2010
09-10 Panini Studio Proofs Platinum #117 1/1

2010-2011
10-11 Panini Absolute Memorabilia Spectrum Black #115 1/1
10-11 Panini Elite Black Box Champions Materials Prime (Pippen, Kukoc, Rodman) #4 /25
10-11 Panini National Treasures Platinum #183 1/1
10-11 Panini National Treasures Signatures Platinum #183 1/1
10-11 Panini National Treasures Champions (Rodman, Kukoc, Jackson) #7 /2

2011-2012
11-12 Panini Past and Present Bread for Life Father's Day #14 1./1
11-12 Panini Preferred Decades Prime #5 /10

2012-2013
12-13 Panini Flawless Gold #27 /10
12-13 Panini Intrigue Autographed Jerseys Tag #12 1/1
12-13 Panini Preferred Chicago Booklet Laundry Tags (Parish, Boozer, Noah, Rose, Kukoc, Deng) #1 1/1
12-13 Panini Preferred Legends Booklet Laundry Tags (Cartwright, Cheeks, Price, Laimbeer, Wilkins, Lever) #4 1/1
12-13 Panini Totally Certified Black Autographs #80 1/1

2013-2014
13-14 Panini Intrigue Autograph Laundry Tag #27 1/1
13-14 Panini Intrigue Immortalized Autographs Gold #60 /10 REDEMPTION, NOT LIVE
13-14 Panini Intrigue Immortalized Autographs Platinum #60 1/1 REDEMPTION, NOT LIVE
13-14 Panini Intrigue Slam Ink Autographs Platinum #38 1/1 REDEMPTION, NOT LIVE
13-14 Panini Preferred Clippers Memorabilia Laundry Tags (Paul, Griffin, Jordan, Crawford, Hill, Rivers, Wilkins) #1 1/1
13-14 Panini Prizm Prizms Black #213 1/1
13-14 Panini Prizm Prizms Black Mosaic #213 1/1
13-14 Panini Signatures Endorsements Platinum #5 1/1
13-14 Panini Timeless Treasures Timelines Teams Black #21 1/1

2014-2015
14-15 Panini Flawless Patches Emerald #70 /5
14-15 Panini Luxe Memorabilia Die-Cuts Prime Black #40 1/1
14-15 Panini Preferred Crown Royale Black Autograph #165 1/1

2015-16
15-16 Panini Black Gold Vintage Gold Autographs Holo Gold #30 /10
15-16 Panini Court Kings Vintage Materials Masterpiece #11 1/1
15-16 Panini Gala Main Attractions Memorabilia Jade #25 1/1
15-16 Panini Gala Main Attractions Memorabilia Midnight (Logoman Patch) #25 1/1

2016-17
16-17 Panini Threads Legends Ink Century Gold /10
16/17 Panini Threads Legends Ink Century Masterpiece /1

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/144848597@N06/albums
AbraCalabro

Topics: 33
Feedback Score: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool reads in here guys, thanks for making the topic, Umi.

So, I collect Shawn Kemp cards and oddball stuff here and there. I've lived all over the U.S. and started out collecting baseball cards, simply because the other kids were into cards and I didn't know much of anything about the players, or the MLB. Once we "moved back home" I quickly found that every one was into basketball cards as that was the most popular sport in the area, followed by football. At this point my friends and relatives urged me to get into collecting because it was fun and trading was cool, knowing virtually nothing about basketball other than slam dunking was great to see, I asked who the best dunker might be. The response was a unanimous: Shawn Kemp

After seeing a couple Sonics games, I saw that the Reignman was an absolute destroyer and he was indeed every bit the dunker that I was told about. As a kid on a kid's budget, I traded, bought lower end packs and sometimes mid range stuff and whenever I could, higher end stuff, Flair, SPx, Finest, that sort of thing. We've all been there, this was back in the 90s. Around late 1997, Shawn Kemp had problems with Sonics management and they parted ways. I still collected Kemp here and there, but eventually we all started moving into high school, or 8th grade and some of the kids were getting into video games, or becoming more interested in cars, or true money pits: girlfriends, etc... I was one of the last, if not the last, to stop collecting because there was no longer any one to trade with and being on a limited budget meant I couldn't just keep buying packs over and over and over. Anyway, I ended up getting into comic books and computer games and the big figure collecting craze...

By the time I got into my early 20s I was making big bucks, but at that point I was into higher end, scale model cars, statues, etc... and that sh!t was expensive. Had I been card collecting at this time, I could have easily, without any sweat, or concern, steam rolled any and all competition on cards in the late 90s, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08 etc... To make a long story short, I lost interest in that other stuff, the car models, statues...figures and sold off virtually everything and by that point I started to wonder what my favorite team in the league was up to. We're well past 2011 at this point, surprise! The Sonics don't exist anymore, thanks Bennett, thanks Stern, may you burn in hell. Now I'm thinking, at least I can go back and get some nice Shawn Kemp cards, like the 94/95 Finest Refractor...well, let's just say what I found did not resemble the card collecting I remembered. I'm thinking no one cares about this stuff any more, so I can get everything cheap. (Yeah, right, maybe if I had acted sooner that would have been the case). I'm reading PMG this, PMG that, not knowing what the hell any one is talking about, numbered parallels, RPA, sticker auto, 1 of 1, people buying into Michael Jordan hype men and their snake oil...which unfortunately ended up working too well for the con men, fake cards, fake patch inserts, Exquisite this, Exquisite that, 1 "box" of Exquisite is 500 dollars and equates to one PACK...500 dollars...for ONE. PACK. I didn't know WHAT the hell to think. I felt like I was on Omaha beach, figuratively speaking, but I kept my head down and kept forward and eventually learned about all this crap, I learned about cards and products I didn't even know existed previously and I would buy what I could, when I could.

...and I've been back in it for three, maybe going on four years now and I've put together a big collection of Kemp stuff, having rediscovered Collector's Choice, SPx, 96/97 Showcase, I got into set building which led me to build sets that I was long unaware of like 97/98 Showcase, 98/99 Showcase and some others. I think the best thing I picked up in this hobby would be friends, genuine people who are more interested in helping out others over maximizing profits. Actually I think that last bit is what has kept me in the hobby for as long as I've been back in it, because beyond the hobby lies "the market" and the market is as selfish, cut throat, dystopian and abysmal as it gets in my opinion.

Anyway, I think pics are needed in this thread to vary the tall walls of text:

Here's an absolute holy grail, for me, this card trumps the PMG Green which I don't really care for as much as some others, it trumps 1 of 1 Master Piece cards and other autographed cards as well. It was the time, the place, that era was MAGIC and this card is something I could only dream about and now it's home at last. The Sonics were hot and they were poised at grabbing a championship, this card was and still is the must have for me, I knew when I got this card in, that I was nearing the end of my collecting journey, because of all the cards I wanted to acquire, this one was finally crossed off and there wasn't much else left.

97/98 Flair Showcase, which is a set I got into shortly after building the debut set in 96/97, has a lot of really nice cards in it, primarily the Row 0 cards. The photography and design on them is top shelf stuff, here's one of my favorites from the set and one of the tough "base" versions to get. I present to you the Row 0 of another 90s immortal, Anfernee Hardaway:

When I finally got around to understanding the Flair Legacy cards, I started to appreciate them more and more, so I had to get all the Kemps I could. Having never seen the 1997 Row 0 Legacy, I was itching just to see what it looked like, even though it's a simple extra stamp and blue foil on the front. Finally, I didn't only get to see a picture of one, I acquired one:

If you made it through all that, thanks.

High Priest of the Yinkaholics Revival
vaterstix
VERIFIED TRADER

Topics: 179
Feedback Score: 47

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread!!!

I collect Anfernee Hardaway first and foremost. However, I do not chase the influx of Panini cards every year. I look and bite when the price is right. I try not to overpay on the non-Panini cards I still need. They can sell for high prices but I generally don't empty my bank account, trusting I will have another shot in the future.

I started collecting Tony Delk serial-numbered cards a few years back based on my love of watching him play year to year. My collection has steadily been growing but I don't run into too many of his cards.

As for sets, I have been working on the 99-00 Topps Gold Label set (Gold, Black, and Red). It has been slow going in recent years since I'm sitting at 727 of 900 cards. I have all of the Gold cards, 274/300 of the Blacks, and 153/300 of the Red.

Just for fun, I started picking up random non-Panini cards whenever I find a deal and post my monthly mail posts.

99-00 Topps Gold Label All Classes (Gold, Black, Red) 272/900: 81%

Colossians 1:9-14
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/vaterstix/Anfernee%20Hardaway%20PC/

BigZigBuysSellsJordan

Topics: 118
Feedback Score: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I collect MJ, Magic, Larry, Shaq, and 80s Fleer. My nephews take up much of my budget as the four of them collect LeBron, Curry, CP3, and Anthony Davis. I also have a basketball pack collection that I may share someday. I am old. I have been collecting basketball since 1990. When I was really young, I collected baseball in the 80s. Yes, going to card shows in the 80s was a glorious time to be a collector...minus the prices.

I only buy new stuff for my nephews. There are not many cards in my collection newer than 1998. I am putting together the entire 86 Fleer Set in BGS 9. I think I'm close to 75% complete. Most have subs all 9 or better. Some have subs of 8.5/9.5/9.5/10...hard not to like that card.

When I got back into collecting about ten years ago, MGOBOOM (a stranger at the time) sent me a bunch of 86 Fleer cards for free. Pretty darn nice. I have passed on his kindness to other collectors, but I still need to get him a Webber or two.

My oldest nephew is getting married this weekend and I got him his first pair of LeBron shoes. Soldier 10s, just like the ones he wore in game 7 of the 2016 NBA finals. He will freak out.

Lastly, I have every Dajuan Wagner 1/1 ever produced.
Jasondr91
VERIFIED TRADER

Topics: 372
Feedback Score: 23

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprise....I'm reading this. Recovering after the nastiest case of strep throat ever.

Randy's story is accurate. I remember many years ago when eBay didn't hide names, I was constantly seeing him bid on Wagner stuff. Instead of thinking I'd run him up.....I reached out to him. Did it with several other Wagner fans. He was the only one to respond, and we've known each other over a decade now. The best guy in the hobby as well. The hobby has very few Randy's in it, and it won't survive without guys like him. Best move on eBay I ever did.....

Jeff....you like Candlebox? Wow.....you need to email me. I got a surprise for you.

I started out on Dennis Rodman when he was traded to Chicago. Loved his crazy wild hair, but more importantly was his hustle, dominance and music taste. Seriously, this pink haired brother listens to Randy Travis, Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam!

My largest PC is Sasha Pavlovic. It honestly started with the 03-04 Spx rc. I always wanted one of these things, and bought a Travis Hansen first......Pavlovic was second. That started my journey of white, euro scrubs. He was easy to find at the time, and next thing I know he's been shipped to Cleveland to play with this Lebron kid. I was in heaven. Then I saw this dude was streaky as hell. Became a starter and finally was a starter during Lebrons first Finals run against Timmy in Co. FAST forward over a decade, I still hunt down Sasha. I own some of the rarest cards ever for the player, have authentic rookie year jerseys, and authentic game worm jerseys, throw backs, warm ups, pants, shooting shirts etc. This site has long known my Pavlovic collection, but over on the other, I have pretty much remained under the radar for years. Sasha is long gone from the NBA now, but did find major success leaving the NBA and playing Euro ball. Watch his highlights, that man can play.........................over there.

Lastly, I'd love to see this site return to its glory days. Give me 2007 back man!

Topics: 118
Feedback Score: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AbraCalabro wrote:
Cool reads in here guys, thanks for making the topic, Umi.

So, I collect Shawn Kemp cards and oddball stuff here and there. I've lived all over the U.S. and started out collecting baseball cards, simply because the other kids were into cards and I didn't know much of anything about the players, or the MLB. Once we "moved back home" I quickly found that every one was into basketball cards as that was the most popular sport in the area, followed by football. At this point my friends and relatives urged me to get into collecting because it was fun and trading was cool, knowing virtually nothing about basketball other than slam dunking was great to see, I asked who the best dunker might be. The response was a unanimous: Shawn Kemp

After seeing a couple Sonics games, I saw that the Reignman was an absolute destroyer and he was indeed every bit the dunker that I was told about. As a kid on a kid's budget, I traded, bought lower end packs and sometimes mid range stuff and whenever I could, higher end stuff, Flair, SPx, Finest, that sort of thing. We've all been there, this was back in the 90s. Around late 1997, Shawn Kemp had problems with Sonics management and they parted ways. I still collected Kemp here and there, but eventually we all started moving into high school, or 8th grade and some of the kids were getting into video games, or becoming more interested in cars, or true money pits: girlfriends, etc... I was one of the last, if not the last, to stop collecting because there was no longer any one to trade with and being on a limited budget meant I couldn't just keep buying packs over and over and over. Anyway, I ended up getting into comic books and computer games and the big figure collecting craze...

By the time I got into my early 20s I was making big bucks, but at that point I was into higher end, scale model cars, statues, etc... and that sh!t was expensive. Had I been card collecting at this time, I could have easily, without any sweat, or concern, steam rolled any and all competition on cards in the late 90s, 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08 etc... To make a long story short, I lost interest in that other stuff, the car models, statues...figures and sold off virtually everything and by that point I started to wonder what my favorite team in the league was up to. We're well past 2011 at this point, surprise! The Sonics don't exist anymore, thanks Bennett, thanks Stern, may you burn in hell. Now I'm thinking, at least I can go back and get some nice Shawn Kemp cards, like the 94/95 Finest Refractor...well, let's just say what I found did not resemble the card collecting I remembered. I'm thinking no one cares about this stuff any more, so I can get everything cheap. (Yeah, right, maybe if I had acted sooner that would have been the case). I'm reading PMG this, PMG that, not knowing what the hell any one is talking about, numbered parallels, RPA, sticker auto, 1 of 1, people buying into Michael Jordan hype men and their snake oil...which unfortunately ended up working too well for the con men, fake cards, fake patch inserts, Exquisite this, Exquisite that, 1 "box" of Exquisite is 500 dollars and equates to one PACK...500 dollars...for ONE. PACK. I didn't know WHAT the hell to think. I felt like I was on Omaha beach, figuratively speaking, but I kept my head down and kept forward and eventually learned about all this crap, I learned about cards and products I didn't even know existed previously and I would buy what I could, when I could.

...and I've been back in it for three, maybe going on four years now and I've put together a big collection of Kemp stuff, having rediscovered Collector's Choice, SPx, 96/97 Showcase, I got into set building which led me to build sets that I was long unaware of like 97/98 Showcase, 98/99 Showcase and some others. I think the best thing I picked up in this hobby would be friends, genuine people who are more interested in helping out others over maximizing profits. Actually I think that last bit is what has kept me in the hobby for as long as I've been back in it, because beyond the hobby lies "the market" and the market is as selfish, cut throat, dystopian and abysmal as it gets in my opinion.

Anyway, I think pics are needed in this thread to vary the tall walls of text:

Here's an absolute holy grail, for me, this card trumps the PMG Green which I don't really care for as much as some others, it trumps 1 of 1 Master Piece cards and other autographed cards as well. It was the time, the place, that era was MAGIC and this card is something I could only dream about and now it's home at last. The Sonics were hot and they were poised at grabbing a championship, this card was and still is the must have for me, I knew when I got this card in, that I was nearing the end of my collecting journey, because of all the cards I wanted to acquire, this one was finally crossed off and there wasn't much else left.

97/98 Flair Showcase, which is a set I got into shortly after building the debut set in 96/97, has a lot of really nice cards in it, primarily the Row 0 cards. The photography and design on them is top shelf stuff, here's one of my favorites from the set and one of the tough "base" versions to get. I present to you the Row 0 of another 90s immortal, Anfernee Hardaway:

When I finally got around to understanding the Flair Legacy cards, I started to appreciate them more and more, so I had to get all the Kemps I could. Having never seen the 1997 Row 0 Legacy, I was itching just to see what it looked like, even though it's a simple extra stamp and blue foil on the front. Finally, I didn't only get to see a picture of one, I acquired one:

If you made it through all that, thanks.

That SPX Kemp is 100% SICKNESS.

SONICBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
drzenith

Topics: 48
Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My PC: Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Kidd.

Dream: to meet them in person and take a selfie.
Umi
VERIFIED TRADER

Topics: 203
Feedback Score: 49

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vaterstix wrote:
Great thread!!!

I collect Anfernee Hardaway first and foremost. However, I do not chase the influx of Panini cards every year. I look and bite when the price is right. I try not to overpay on the non-Panini cards I still need. They can sell for high prices but I generally don't empty my bank account, trusting I will have another shot in the future.

Penny was one of my favorite players growing up too. One of my favorite cards in my collection is this:

My brother bought the trade card for me for Christmas one year - one of my first experiences with redemptions. I loved the UD Holoview technology - especially the ones with the heads turning.

Thanks for all the input, guys. Hope to see a lot more people share.
AbraCalabro

Topics: 33
Feedback Score: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigZigBuysSellsJordan,

Thanks Very Happy and also no thread is complete with a BOOM, in this case,
SONICBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

Umi wrote:
vaterstix wrote:
Great thread!!!

Penny was one of my favorite players growing up too. One of my favorite cards in my collection is this:

My brother bought the trade card for me for Christmas one year - one of my first experiences with redemptions. I loved the UD Holoview technology - especially the ones with the heads turning.

LOVE that card, it's still one that I'd like to add. An iconic card forever.

High Priest of the Yinkaholics Revival
derotter

Topics: 66
Feedback Score: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thread Exclamation

I collect :

- Glenn Robinson, a collection I started last year. The Big Dog was the first jersey I bought as a teenager, and I had a great opportunity to get some nice cards of him. Focus on serial numbered of the 90's, but basically all this stuff under the Bucks uniform. Would love to get a pro cut jersey or a Starter authentic to rock on the beach Cool

- Andrei Kirilenko. I started my PC of him when he was a rookie (2001-02), and after a 10 years cards collecting hiatus, I started back the PC, focusing on his autos on card (the greatest signature in the hobby back in the day imho). I also like buying oddballs and game-worn stuff, I own 2 game-worn jerseys, warm-up jacket & pant...looking for game-used stuff in Jazz uniform

- Paul George. I came back to the hobby in 2010, when Paul George was a rookie, and decided to collect him intensively. I bought some other collections, and have been collecting him since his debut. I'm now trying to reduce the collection by selling sticker autos and cards I'm not found of. My biggest accomplishment is probably a game-worn jersey of PG, with Meigray certification, awesome piece of memorabilia

- Jerry Sloan. Big fan of the Jazz in mid 00's, it's really a lot of fun to collect such a legend, and he reminds me my one of my grandpa...

Lately I have reduced the amount on $$ I spend in cards, 'cause I'm also a records digger (I collect vinyls, mostly original pressing or reissue of rare music...and bass music, dub, reggae lately), and I have also a small but good collection of photobooks (mostly Japanese and UK photography).

I also like to spend money on beers (big fan of sour beers, and I lived 3 years in Belgium so you know the deal), sneakers (around 20 pairs of basketball shoes, mostly Nike reissues of the OG pairs I dreamed of when I was a child) and tattoos Rolling Eyes

90's - The Big Dog / 00's - AK-47 / 10's - PG-13
kukocitb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is AWESOME! I keep wanting to get into vinyl but I spend enough elsewhere when I can

derotter wrote:
Nice thread Exclamation

I collect :

- Glenn Robinson, a collection I started last year. The Big Dog was the first jersey I bought as a teenager, and I had a great opportunity to get some nice cards of him. Focus on serial numbered of the 90's, but basically all this stuff under the Bucks uniform. Would love to get a pro cut jersey or a Starter authentic to rock on the beach Cool

- Andrei Kirilenko. I started my PC of him when he was a rookie (2001-02), and after a 10 years cards collecting hiatus, I started back the PC, focusing on his autos on card (the greatest signature in the hobby back in the day imho). I also like buying oddballs and game-worn stuff, I own 2 game-worn jerseys, warm-up jacket & pant...looking for game-used stuff in Jazz uniform

- Paul George. I came back to the hobby in 2010, when Paul George was a rookie, and decided to collect him intensively. I bought some other collections, and have been collecting him since his debut. I'm now trying to reduce the collection by selling sticker autos and cards I'm not found of. My biggest accomplishment is probably a game-worn jersey of PG, with Meigray certification, awesome piece of memorabilia

- Jerry Sloan. Big fan of the Jazz in mid 00's, it's really a lot of fun to collect such a legend, and he reminds me my one of my grandpa...

Lately I have reduced the amount on $$ I spend in cards, 'cause I'm also a records digger (I collect vinyls, mostly original pressing or reissue of rare music...and bass music, dub, reggae lately), and I have also a small but good collection of photobooks (mostly Japanese and UK photography).

I also like to spend money on beers (big fan of sour beers, and I lived 3 years in Belgium so you know the deal), sneakers (around 20 pairs of basketball shoes, mostly Nike reissues of the OG pairs I dreamed of when I was a child) and tattoos Rolling Eyes

vaterstix
VERIFIED TRADER

Topics: 179
Feedback Score: 47

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umi wrote:
vaterstix wrote:
Great thread!!!

I know it's strange but I still don't have that Penny card in my PC :/ I've just seen a bunch evade my grasp (outbid a lot on the bay) and other cards became priority over it. One day, though, I'll have it, lol.

99-00 Topps Gold Label All Classes (Gold, Black, Red) 272/900: 81%

Colossians 1:9-14
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y198/vaterstix/Anfernee%20Hardaway%20PC/

Post new topic   Reply to topic       HobbyKings.com Forum Index -> Basketball -> Hobby Talk All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: