HobbyKings.com - Only the Elite
FAQ Search Staff Members Groups Register Login to check PMs
Rules Login/Out Store
Twitter Facebook YouTube Blog
Can anyone help me? What am I looking at here?

Post new topic   Reply to topic       HobbyKings.com Forum Index -> Basketball -> Hobby Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BallinSon
MUST SEND FIRST ON ALL TRANSACTIONS

Topics: 14
Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Can anyone help me? What am I looking at here? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

A buddy of mine has a solid Celtics greats autograph collection going. It's mostly signed and framed pictures. He's missing a Bill Russell as the last big name in his collection and told me he wants a signed Russell card to round it all out.

This guy was the typical collector back in the day and has boxes upon boxes of 90 Skybox and 91 Upper Deck. He ain't really ever held a nice card before and I'd like it to be the centerpiece of his collection.

Originally I was thinking about going with Flawless, especially one of the Celtics green emerald ones. I don't know which set is most sought after from Flawless but they all have a generally clean design. The main reason I was thinking Flawless though was that they are uncirculated. Knowing none of us grubby card guys handled it would be reassuring to him. But, since I've been looking into Russell Flawless I really haven't seen anything that has stood out.

I've also been browsing 61 Fleer IPA's. He is a history buff and he really liked the thought of having an autographed card from when Russell was still playing. The only trouble is I can't tell authentic from reprint on most of the listings I've come across. They've all got slabs, but does PSA authentic the card too or just the auto? Here's an example:

Russell 61 Fleer

Is that 61 Fleer original?

Then today I come across this beauty:

Russell Letterman

Now I never followed or busted any of this product and I don't know what I am looking at. Anyone remember the rarity on these booklets? How is the print run 19? There's no way Topps cut up 19 Russell game jerseys. The only reason it caught my eye was because he could frame it and put it with his other pictures but this guy I know wouldn't accept anything other than legitimate memorabilia.

Any help with any of them questions is much appreciated. Feel free to suggest anything a non-card collector would like. Patches are a plus within the 4 digit price range. If I can't find something soon he's gonna wind up with one of my Prizm sticker auto's (barf face emotion icon).

Thanks fellers.
AbraCalabro

Topics: 31
Feedback Score: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea about the card itself being authentic, although when I clicked the link to look at the card I noticed the Russell booklet and thought I would suggest it to you for your friend. ...then I read the rest of the thread and you linked to the same exact eBay listing. Laughing

I think great minds think alike, which is why we both sought out the booklet as a great alternative. To celebrate this, you should sell me your Kemp Prizm Gold...it's not like you NEED it or anything, right? Cool If you take Trident gum as payment, then I can make you a rich man.

Think about it. Shocked

-Shawn Kemp
-Complete sets
https://www.flickr.com/photos/146174927@N03/collections
BallinSon

Topics: 14
Feedback Score: 0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AbraCalabro wrote:
I have no idea about the card itself being authentic, although when I clicked the link to look at the card I noticed the Russell booklet and thought I would suggest it to you for your friend. ...then I read the rest of the thread and you linked to the same exact eBay listing. Laughing

I think great minds think alike, which is why we both sought out the booklet as a great alternative. To celebrate this, you should sell me your Kemp Prizm Gold...it's not like you NEED it or anything, right? Cool If you take Trident gum as payment, then I can make you a rich man.

Think about it. Shocked

I mean there's no way it's authentic. That 61 Fleer's gotta be real though, right?

Quite the coincidence but I ain't really the celebrating type. If we're talking Trident White, though, I'll consider your offer.

And you are right. I don't need it. I need some water about every day. I need a piece of bread every so often. I need a bath right now in the worst way. Don't need that Kemp. The want is there though. I'm thinking that gold set will be a hell of a lifetime chase. It'll look some sharp too.

But anyway, one sold a few months ago. Where was you on that one? There's eight more. I'm sure you'll grab the next one... if you can beat my bid. HA.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
Umi
VERIFIED TRADER

Topics: 203
Feedback Score: 49

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballin, that product - Topps Letterman - I feel, was terrible. They had a few game used letters in the product, but I believe those had gold foil borders (24K?) and clearly stated they were Authentic. The autographed booklets were all manufactured letters. I believe they had several parallels - refractor, x-fractor, etc... - also. Yeah, I was not a fan of this product.

If you think it was bad, you should see the football version - I think one of the worst designed products of all time. At least with basketball, the player signed one of the fake letters. In football, they just stuck a sticker right on the middle of the card above the letter. How it stayed on, I never cared to inquire.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       HobbyKings.com Forum Index -> Basketball -> Hobby Talk All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: