HobbyKings.com - Only the Elite
FAQ Search Staff Members Groups Register Login to check PMs
Rules Login/Out Store
Twitter Facebook YouTube
advice on ebay auction and seller...

Post new topic   Reply to topic       HobbyKings.com Forum Index -> Basketball -> eBay
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windboy226
MUST SEND FIRST ON ALL TRANSACTIONS

Topics: 12
Feedback Score: 4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: advice on ebay auction and seller... Reply with quote

I made an offer on a card for $27 and the seller accepted. His shipping prices were a little high($4.65) but it was in the auction and I clearly understood it. However when I got the invoice he tried to charge me 8% on a sales tax because we lived in the same state(Texas). This was not stated anywhere in the auction and I would have adjusted my offer accordingly. It just seemed super fishy to me....mostly like he was trying to scam a few extra dollars out of me- especially because he got the percentage on the sales tax wrong in the first place(should be 8.25%). I sent him 2 emails now telling him I would pay what I offered him but would not pay the sales tax if it was not stated in the auction. He has yet to reply so I'm thinking he might just ignore it and try to file a NPB on me. Has anyone been in a similar situation and how was it resolved?
fullmetal
BANNED

Topics: 907
Feedback Score: 181

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would email and ask him if he really files the taxes. If he comes back and says it was a mistake then he will probably remove it. But he will probably tell you the truth that he owns a card shop and has to file because of audits.

There are many sellers in Florida and I find myself paying tax quite a bit. But in a legality we are supposed to pay taxes on all merchandise bought on the internet, but I would guess 99.9+% do not. I included.

As for the cost of shipping, it looks like he is sending USPS Priority Mail with DC and making no money for handling. And the tax percentage should vary by county if it works the same as here in FLorida. THe state has a set tax. I believe it is 6% for Florida (can't remember) and each county/city can impose additional on top of that. My county has a 2.5%. So the total is 8.5%, but that is not the same for the entire state. Some are only 6%, which is the lowest possible and some are higher than mine.

You should tell the seller that he should mention this in the auction. But truthfully when you bid on an item within your state just be ready to pay tax. Are you sure that tax was not a checked item at the bottom of the auction screen? Also I believe accepting tax funds and not presenting them to the state would be considered punishable fraud. So if you really wanted to go all out you could talk to your state's tax revenue office and see if he really submits sales tax to them.

Good luck.

Last edited by fullmetal on Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
UPC-78
Contributing Member

Topics: 107
Feedback Score: 35

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ask him his state tax #
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
windboy226
MUST SEND FIRST ON ALL TRANSACTIONS

Topics: 12
Feedback Score: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I sent him another email stating I would pay the tax if he could give me a state tax #. It really just seems like he's just trying to scam a few extra bucks off me(BIN price was $45 and I offered $27). We live in the same city so I know he got the % wrong so honestly I don't think he owns a card shop.
I just don't like to get taken advantage of and sellers like this bother me..even if it only is a few bucks.
Exquisitecollector
SITE ADMIN

Topics: 416
Feedback Score: 87

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As fullmetal said... legally sales tax for sales within states should be paid. But I agree with you, you want to make sure the state tax goes to the state not to his pocket.

I have dealt with sellers to insist on charging sales taxes on my initial purchases. Then on subsequent cards I'm interested in, I will tell them the truth... that I am not inclined to deal with him on high dollar cards because I will have to pay sales tax. Invariably, they will waive it.

It burns me that they insist it beforehand but then can unilaterally waive it when they see it is a potential dealbreaker. Mad

Thank you buyingstuffformikelee for the nice sig! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       HobbyKings.com Forum Index -> Basketball -> eBay All times are GMT - 12 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: